2014 was a good season for me, breaking PR’s at the 5k, marathon, and 70.3 distances and besting my previous times in almost every race I ran.
The race season didn’t start off great though. On the drive down to one of the Brinkeroff races I realized I had a flat tire on my bike and we were already running late. I changed out the tire in the car and put the wheel in the dropout right before the race started. What I didn’t realize is that I didn’t have the wheel seated properly in the dropout and I was rubbing against one of the brakes so hard that the wheel wouldn’t make a full rotation no matter how hard you spun it. That made for a downright miserable race, although seeing Heather cheering along that lonely uphill section certainly helped. We decided to ride back to Albany from the race and thankfully stopped by Steiners where J immediately asked me why I was an idiot (maybe not in those exact words). That was a long 50 miles of resistance training.
That bad luck didn’t last long. The next race up was Puerto Rico 70.3 and I obliterated my 70.3 PR by 1 hour and 3 minutes. It turns out you go a lot faster when you don’t crash during the bike portion and bleed for the rest of the race.
Without going back through each and every race result, I think it’s safe to say I broke my course record at every race I did. 2014 was a fast year for me. I got a taste of speed and I want more. Next year my A race will be Ironman Lake Placid and this time I’m going for a good time versus just finishing. Fast means coaching and I’ll be working with Andy Ruiz for cycling and running and Josh Wolin at the YMCA for swimming. I am also lucky to have been made a part of the HRRT Tri team which will provide some crucial support. Looking forward to a good 2015 racing in the green and purple!
Here is a list of random goodness that happened in 2014:
- New 70.3 PR at Ironman 70.3 Puerto Rico
- 25/824 on this strava segment. Yes, it’s downhill, but Ted King is in 6th place and he’s not the only Pro on the list. I count it as an achievement.
- 2nd place AG at Duanesburg Tri
- 2nd place AG at Greene Y Tri
- New 5k PR at Teal Ribbon 5K
- 1st place AG at Albany Falcon 5K
- 160 miles run in August, almost double my previous best month
- Mohawk Hudson Marathon (Marathon PR)
- 2nd marathon in 2 weeks at Marine Corps Marathon